Agricultural Services

A groundwater supply to be used for agricultural purposes must be licensed under the Water Act, which is administered by Alberta Environment and Protected Areas (AEPA). HCL can assist in locating, developing and managing a groundwater supply for agricultural supplies and ensure that the work required for groundwater licensing under the Water Act will be completed as outlined in AEPA’s Groundwater Evaluation Guideline.

A groundwater licence usually has associated Conditions that require the annual submission of groundwater monitoring records; the submission often requires an analysis of the aquifer performance by a qualified professional. HCL can provide a range of groundwater monitoring options for any situation and has experienced professionals who can be relied on to submit accurate, comprehensive annual returns. Accurate and reliable groundwater monitoring is the key to management of any groundwater supply.

HCL continues to work with agricultural clientele to develop reliable and safe groundwater supplies while protecting both the resource and the rights of other local groundwater users.

  • HCL agricultural clientele include dairy, hog and beef producers
  • The Natural Resources Conservation Board (NRCB) requires that an agricultural operator have a licence under the Water Act for the diversion of groundwater prior to expansion approval being issued by the NRCB (i.e. expansion of a feedlot).